Tuesday 22 August 2017

What's been going on?


I can't believe that it's been six months since I've written up a post; how has this even happened?! I thought I would write a post to let everyone know I'm still alive, just. I felt so swamped down by coursework and countless other things. We all have times like that, when life just gets in the way and before you know it months has flown by. Just a little update, to keep you in the loop with it all.

My graded unit was due in April, and it took a lot of late nights and stressful days, thankfully now my results are all in and I achieved an A. I couldn't be more proud of myself, it has given me the grade needed to continue my passion for writing on a HND Journalism course starting in just a few weeks. It's been so rubbish, not being able to blog, with that being my main way of relaxing and enjoying my spare time. It's just that I haven't had any! 

Trying to figure out what I was going to do next year was the main reason I was so distracted. It's so competitive trying to get a place on any course whether it be college or university. I soon found out however, that leaping from college to university isn't as easy as it seems. Well, for journalism anyway. After going to an interview at Edinburgh napier, and discovering there was nearly two hundred interview places and only fifty course places, I realised this was going to be a lot more competitive than I anticipated. It's all about experience these days, and if you don't have it then you're screwed. It's rubbish really when you think about it, how can anyone gain experience without the opportunity to establish a knowledge for the industry first? They say you need experience to get a university place, yet you can't get a placement or work experience without a qualification. Makes sense. It can be really disheartening, when you feel like you aren't getting anywhere. You just think- what is the point of trying when you keep getting knocked back? It's hard, but I learned to shake off the negative points and continued to move forward with determination, something would come up eventually. It's taken time to mould myself into a positive way of thinking, but you do get there, and if you want something enough it will eventually come your way. 

I had been rejected from my current college for the exact same Journalism course I have been accepted for in another college. Their reasoning was I wouldn't manage the work, even though I achieved an A with them earlier this year!? Getting knocked back from somewhere I regarded as my safe option was a shock to say the least. I had trusted these lecturers all year and provided them with work which they themselves decided was at an "A" grade standard. I can now happily say a big f** you for the knock of confidence they gave me, as all it did was make my determination stronger and I got where I wanted in the end. 

If that wasn't a stressful enough event to happen, I also went through a very bad breakup. All breakups are bad of course, but the unexpected ones the worst. I've always found I go the extra mile for everyone in my life, and I guess some people just don't appreciate and reciprocate that in return. It's the most horrible realisation seeing a side to someone you never knew existed, and this more than always happens when you're in too deep. It effected me a lot, especially mental health wise. Being away from home didn't help me at all and it heightened every emotion I had. I got through the other end though with the support from amazing friends and family and that's the best you can get. I don't want to bore you all to death with breakup talk, maybe in another post. 

It has been a hectic few months, and I'm glad it's all calmed down for now. There's no point dwelling on all the bad things going on in your life, when so many great things around you are also happening and you're too busy moaning to notice them! sometimes you do get swamped down with these negatives, but you always come out the other side. There's so much pressure on bloggers to maintain posts frequently, but sometimes life really does just get in the way. Sometimes you have to put yourself first, and prioritise what's going on before anything else. I hope to get back to publishing content more frequently again now. 

Tasha Hall x x x  

2 comments: