Thursday 15 December 2016

5 tips moving away from home!

My experience moving away from home 




It is alway's a scary thought to be packing your bags and leaving all home comforts behind: no matter if you are moving five minutes round the corner or further. For me i definitely was not five minutes away- i was four hours. 
I was always surrounded by beautiful landscapes and mountains at home and i was moving onto a very different scene (Glasgow) as you can imagine it was a massive change of scenery to say the least and a massive step for me to take.
I talked myself in and out of the prospect of moving away for not only months but over a year! as i took a gap year it enabled me to take time to get myself ready for it, i always knew i was going to do it one day- and i did. 
Saying goodbye to all my friends and family was definitely the hardest part of moving away; it was as if all your inner fears vanished and all you focused on was how much you were going to miss these people that put a smile on your face everyday.
It is a terrifying thought leaving everyone behind and essentially moving somewhere and you know nobody but it was the best decision i have made and i am so proud of myself for seeing it all through. Glasgow to me is very much a second home now and i wouldn't change that at all, i see myself being here for a very long time or possibly for good.
This experience taught me that sometimes in life you need to take risks and jump because if you don't you miss amazing opportunities! I have made friends for life here, found my boyfriend who i can't see myself without now and started off my dream to become a writer.
Some people never manage to take that step and it is out of fear "I'm not ready" they keep telling people- the truth is no one is ever one hundred percent ready, moving out is a risk that mostly always pay's off like you couldn't imagine and i urge anyone who has it in their mind to take that risk too and amazing things do happen!

None of this would have been possible without all the help from my friends and family and all the support, of course as you can imagine some people were upset by the idea but they supported me nevertheless- one person i couldn't have done this without is my big sister Mel. She put up with all my moans and tantrums and stresses through the whole thing, she pretty much packed my whole life into suitcases because honestly? i was absolutely useless! She made this whole thing a reality for me and drove me and all my belongings down to Glasgow and stayed until i felt comfortable. I couldn't ask for a better sister she really is a star! 



My tips for moving away:


  1. know your surroundings and make them comfortable  It is really beneficial to know what you are stepping into and who with- the key is to research it all! or at least as much as you can, where are you staying? who with? what is there to do? what transport do i take? this tackles a lot of your worries and eases your mind. I also found it particularly comforting to adapt my room with things such as fairylights, photos from home and my old childhood teddy- this was all so comforting and it allowed me to take a little bit from home with me. 
  2. Don't overthink it! It's very rich for me to say as a top overthinker myself, however, overthinking this type of situation only esculates your fears and worries the more you dwell on it. Make yourself a pro's and con's list and to help you decide if you can't come to a decision. Go to the root of the idea and decide what you wan't, take everything else of out the picture and focus on yourself and your aspirations- make the decision that is best for you! 

  3. Make friends! this may seem stating the obvious but a lot of people struggle with communication and making new friends can worry many people, it is a lot easier than you think, especially if you are moving into halls there are so many opportunities to meet such a variation of people and it definitely makes your experience a lot more fun!

  4. Keep in contact staying in frequent contact with all your family and friends back home gives you a sense of that home comfort when you need it most, even if it's just a two minute phone call at night- staying in contact frequently relaxes your mind and without you even noticing it, it does cheer you up. 
  5. Have fun- but also me time! it's new and exciting and the best way to socialize and have fun is to go out, whether that be out exploring everything or hitting a club with your pals, do what you consider a good fun time and enjoy the company around you! However you need to ensure you balance it out and have some down time to yourself, it's okay to have days where you just want to stay in your room alone, have some time to yourself and a break away from all the madness! 



Tasha Hall x x x 


No comments:

Post a Comment