Friday 23 December 2016

First tattoo!


I had been wanting a tattoo for a good few years but there was one major obstacle: I was petrified of needles! I remember being in high school when we all got our class jags and my stomach would twist up in knots for days before and even worse on the day. The main worry for me was how jumpy I got whenever a needle came close to my arm- I hated it! It was such a dilemma though as I knew how badly I wanted a tattoo and I sucked it up and managed just fine. Iv'e always said to myself any tattoo's I get I want them to have a meaning; something special or a story to tell and that's exactly what my first tattoo captivates. I got the tattoo on 14th of October this year and it's very true what they say: once you have one you want more. I got my tattoo done for my brother Jamie who passed away five years now, he meant everything to me- I always got called his little "shadow" and I couldn't think of anyone better to dedicate my first tattoo to. 

He was very much into guitar so I knew the tattoo had to symbolise that, one of his very close friends Gus writes a lot of songs (Scottish-folk-blues) and he wrote one in particlar for me when Jamie passed away called "stepping stone" and I incorporated lyrics from that song into my guitar idea so that's what i done. I got Jamie's guitar tattoo'd on me with the song lyrcis wrapped around it "I am your shadow and you are mine." It's such a beautiful tattoo in general but it is even more special to me because of it's meaning. 
The picture on the right is just after it was done, still very red and tender. It was quite nippy getting the outline done but completely bareable pain I don't know why I was so worried! Getting it filled in with shading is almost relaxing, It just feels like a very light scratching on your skin and it is not sore in the slightest. I always thought people were lying to me when they said it's honestly not that sore, it really isn't though! If I can manage anyone can. 

The healing process was ok, I was completely paranoid the whole time I would ruin it! but as long as it is kept clean with non scented soap and kept moisturised with bepanthen it turns out fine. It does feel tender which I would say was the worst part through the whole process for me, It wasn't particularly sore it just felt very uncomfortable and you could feel whenever something touched that part of your skin that it was raw. My tattoo healed in just over a week but it depends on the person and how they have taken care of the tattoo, when all the redness was gone and the first "layer" had peeled off and it was all healed up i fell in love with it all over again. I got the tattoo done at "Lucky Cat" tattoo parlour on Great Western road in Glasgow, I would definitely go back there again; Rachel done an amazing job of my tattoo and made me feel completely comfortable, I found them very affordable. 

Overall I would definitely go back and get another tattoo as soon as I can! apart from it being a bit nippy and tender it was no where near the amount of pain I had imagined in my head and I love still having Jamie close to me in such a special way. Definitely check out some of Gus Munro's music I have linked below and the Lucky Cat website!

Gus Munro: http://www.gusmunro.com/
Lucky Cat: http://luckycattattoo.co.uk/


Tasha Hall x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment